Speculation that Juan Pablo Montoya has been contractually freed by formula one team McLaren to test and race in the Nascar series is now official.
Not only did his new boss Chip Ganassi confirm the news, Colombian Montoya tested a stock car at the Talladega circuit on Monday in the company of 34 other drivers.
”We’ve been working hard to get Juan freed up,” Ganassi said, ”(and) mission accomplished, as of Friday.”
In the absence of a commercial agreement, McLaren’s Ron Dennis had previously refused to allow 31-year-old Montoya to start his new career in the popular American series.
But Ganassi, who said Juan Pablo will also test in Iowa later this week, confirmed: ”It’s certainly a load off (Montoya’s) shoulders.”