Double world champion Fernando Alonso has vowed to ‘push’ for an early release from his Renault contract.
The Spaniard’s agreement with Renault extends until the last day of 2006, meaning that he is presently unable to join his new team – McLaren – when the winter test season kicks off late next month.
“On Monday we start trying something for sure,” 25-year-old Alonso said last week in Brazil, “to see if I can test at least one day before the end of the year.”
He insisted, however, that failing to secure a release would not be the end of the world. “It is something, and a little help, but if nothing happens until we have the 2007 cars on the track it is not a big drama,” said Alonso.
Existing McLaren driver Kimi Raikkonen, meanwhile, said he would not be bothered if he cannot test for Ferrari until next year.
“Felipe (Massa) will be driving in the winter,” the Finn revealed, “so January will be enough time for me to get ready for 2007.”