Apr.15 (GMM) Romain Grosjean insists he does not want to close the chapter on his brief formula one career.
The almost 24-year-old Swiss-Frenchman took over from the sacked Nelson Piquet last year, driving the R29 at the final seven rounds as the ‘crashgate’ scandal struck and Renault lost chiefs, sponsors and the support of its carmaker parent.
Over the winter, the Enstone based team changed hands and the new regime signed the well-financed Russian pay-driver Vitaly Petrov, leaving Grosjean to contemplate a season in the new GT1 world championship.
That category kicks off in Abu Dhabi this weekend.
“I’m looking forward to it, taking this experience and maybe trying to go back to formula one in 2011,” he told the local Gulf News’ Xpress on Thursday.
He said he is proud of his achievements in F1, even though failing to score a single point.
“I was very close to Fernando, and Fernando is winning races today with a very good car,” said Grosjean.
“I was at the wrong place at the wrong moment, sometimes that happens. That’s why I think I clearly have my place in formula one.”
And he told the Abu Dhabi newspaper The National: “(Renault) was in a very complicated situation and I don’t like to go back too much to that story, but in the end I am very happy with the job I did.”