Just as a fascinating new rumour hits the airwaves, McLaren has left the door open for retired double world champion Mika Hakkinen to test again for the Woking team.
In the wake of the 38-year-old’s out-of-the-blue test at Barcelona last week, the newspaper ‘Turun Sanomat’ claimed this week that Gerhard Berger may have recently offered Hakkinen a seat at his Toro Rosso team in 2007.
Backing up the Finnish daily’s assertion is the fact that neither 2006 STR pilot, Vitantonio Liuzzi or Scott Speed, were listed on the FIA’s newly-published official entry list for 2007.
McLaren’s Martin Whitmarsh told Reuters at Woking on Wednesday: “If Mika came and said ‘Actually, I wouldn’t mind every six months having another go (in the car)’, I think we’d take it seriously.”
The Mercedes-powered team’s managing director admitted that, with Hakkinen yet to pen a new DTM contract, he is weighing up his options for the future.
Whitmarsh added: “I don’t know, and I don’t think today that Mika knows where he’s going to go.”