May 29 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he is not losing hope for a rapid return to the F1 grid.
After a solid debut for McLaren last year, the 22-year-old Dane was relegated to the reserve role for 2016 as champions Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button spearhead the new Honda-powered era.
“Yes I have itchy feet,” Magnussen told reporters in a McLaren teleconference, “but I’m also very young so I can afford one year to do what I do now.
“It’s actually not a bad thing – being on the sidelines watching – because you learn different things,” he added.
But while he watches, another McLaren-backed junior, Stoffel Vandoorne, is emerging as a genuine star of the future as he dominates the feeder series GP2.
“I guess everyone is a threat when you’re competing for a formula one seat,” said Magnussen when asked about the impressive 23-year-old Belgian.
“What can you do about it? Stoffel is doing a really good job and he deserves to get to formula one,” he admitted. “I think there’s something wrong if he doesn’t get to formula one.”
So what next for Magnussen? He was earlier linked with a move to Indycar, or to join his father Jan in sports cars, but for now is focused only on F1.
“We know formula one is unpredictable,” he admitted. “I believe McLaren will take care of my career, no matter what.
“It’s not that I’m only gunning for the McLaren drive,” said Magnussen, “of course I’m doing that as well.
“(But) if there’s no vacancy here, together with Ron (Dennis), Eric (Boullier) and my management I’ll look for something else.”