Apr.14 (GMM) F1’s other banned ‘crashgate’ conspirator, Pat Symonds, could soon resume a role in the sport.
Following news that the scandal has ended due to a settlement with the FIA, it is already rumoured that ousted Renault boss Flavio Briatore could be back in the paddock with a role alongside Bernie Ecclestone in 2013.
But Symonds, the British engineering veteran who previously admitted scheming with Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately during the 2008 Singapore GP, could be back in F1 almost immediately.
While no longer pushing for Briatore’s lifetime ban, or Symonds’ 5-year ban, the FIA said on Monday that the pair have “undertaken to abstain from having any operational role” until 2013.
But Symonds, 56, has clarified in a statement that his own company Neutrino Dynamics could be engaged for F1 consultancy work immediately.
As distinct from the FIA’s statement, Symonds said he has promised not to take on “a direct operational role” in F1 until 2013.
“This agreement does not prevent him acting as a consultant to any team during this period and he will continue to contribute to the sport in this, and other, ways,” the statement added.