Volkswagen, Carlos Sainz’s cross-country rally team, has given the former rally world champion permission to drive a formula one car.
It was revealed earlier this week that the 44-year-old Spaniard was scheduled to test a year-old Renault single seater at an unspecified location in England.
Subsequent reports said the run could be a precursor to Sainz doing a demonstration run at the Circuit de Catalunya for the upcoming World Series race.
It is now almost certain that the winner of 26 rallies will indeed drive the former Fernando Alonso car in Barcelona.
Sainz will complete a ‘shakedown’ in the car – equipped with a Monaco-specification of downforce – on Silverstone’s shorter layout on Wednesday, and confirmation of his Spanish demo could follow.
“After driving the best rally cars, and a MotoGP bike, the only thing left for me to do was drive a formula one car,” he said.