Jan.12 (GMM) Nelson Piquet will not return to the formula one grid in 2010, the Brazilian driver announced on Tuesday.
After losing his seat at Renault this year, the 24-year-old become embroiled in the crashgate scandal and later tested NASCAR trucks in America.
Piquet had been linked with 2010 race seats at Campos or Force India, but wrote on his website on Tuesday: “After my first 18 months in F1 did not go as planned I have decided to focus on something different and have chosen to take a route in America.”
He confirmed that his American route is with the NASCAR family.
“NASCAR is hugely challenging and nobody has ever come in as an outsider and gone on to win it — it will be the ultimate challenge. I will let you know more details on the exact programme soon,” said Piquet.
He said he may return to Europe in the future to contest Le Mans.